1. Age, weight, and your serial (fav) number?
25, 175, # 14
2. Where did you grow up and go to High School?
I grew up in the Palatine area and I’m a proud product of William Fremd High School.
3. Current profession and college background?
I am a graduate of Augustana College (IL).
4. Sports participated in growing up?
I played a lot of sports throughout my childhood, baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer, football
5. Main sport and how many years playing(ed)?
My main sport was baseball and I played that since I was probably five years old.
6. What is your biggest accomplishment in your chosen sport?
Winning the “Leadership Award” for my team senior year of college. I never won a lot of individual awards but to be given an award for being a leader meant a lot to me personally because I was raised to take a lot of pride in my work ethic and setting a strong example for others.
7. What one or two things do you currently do in your training that are keys to your success?
I believe it’s my ability to relate to my clients, whether it’s a 7 year old or an 18 year old. It takes a lot for athletes to trust coaches that want to make changes to what they have been doing for a long time even though it may be incorrect. If I can make them comfortable and trusting of me it makes the process a whole lot easier.
8. What would be your ultimate achievement?
My ultimate achievement would be to have one of my clients or players get drafted. Not because it would be a reflection on what I did for them or so I can say “hey I made that kid who he is.” It would more so be because I can say I had a small impact on a truly talented and deserving athlete.
9. How do you set your goals?
My goals are set on an individual basis. Each situation or athlete is different and you need to tailor your goal to each accordingly.
10. What is your biggest challenge, and what do you do to manage this challenge?
This goes back to getting an athlete to buy into what I’m teaching them. How I manage this challenge, is trying to relate as much as possible to the athlete and trying to tailor my approach to each. Not one player is the same, so you need to be able to adjust based on that. Video analysis is also a great way to help players visualize what they are doing whether it’s something right or wrong.
11. What is your diet like?
I really don’t have a set diet. I’m fortunate right now that I can really eat whatever.I guess I have a fast metabolism. I try to stay away from fast food as much as possible but sometimes it’s just easier than making something to get when I get home at 11 pm.
12. What 1–2 things do you believe differentiates you from your contemporaries who have tailed off in their athletic participation and abilities?
Right now I would just it’s may work ethic and not having a problem with work long hours and giving up my weekends to do what I love. People think that this business is easy, but to be successful you have to put in the hours,it’s flat out out grind that a lot of people can’t handle.
13. Do you have any recommended resources to share (books, seminars, websites, coaches)?
I’m not a big reader to be honest and I’m not proud of it. I have a number of books laying on a shelf at home that I’ve never even opened up.
14. What was the best advice you were ever given?
I don’t know if it was every one thing but anything my dad ever told more still tells me is great advice. I don’t know anyone that works hard than him.
15. Do you have a saying or motto that you live your life by?
Do something that makes you happy so you don’t wake up in the morning and dread the day.
16. Where do you draw your inspiration from?
My inspiration comes from all the bad teachers and coaches that I ever had. I try to take what they did not do well and use that to make me better.
17. What are your spiritual beliefs?
I’m a Catholic.
18. Favorite coach and why?
I like the Terry Francona or Joe Maddon types. The ones that players love but at the same time will hold a player accountable for their actions.
19. Favorite musician or genre of music?
I enjoy all types of music. But my top three would be Rap/Hip-Hop and Country and recently EDM (It’s growing on me). My favorite artist would be Drake.
20. Favorite TV show?
So many to chose from but to name a few, Modern Family, Chicago Fire and PD, The Blacklist, Bar Rescue, Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy, Entourage, Suits.
*Bonus Question: What is one secret not many people know about you?
For the answer check out our Facebook page! www.facebook.com/playersu
Connect with Anthony and Play Ball USA: